Five Finger Islands Lighthouse
Located on a small island that lies between Stephens Passage and Frederick Sound the Five Finger Islands Light was the first U.S. government lighthouses opened in Alaska, on March 21, 1902. It became the last lighthouse in Alaska to be automated on August 14, 1984. The original wooden lighthouse burnt down and the current art deco structure dates back to 1935. We were lucky enough to be radioed by the lighthouse keeper as we sailed past in S/V BOB and were invited onto the lighthouse for a tour. Taking advantage of a rare bout of calm seas around the light, we headed over to the rocky outpost in our little skiff and were able climb the light. South East Alaska, USA.